I know I mentioned Bennett’s performance a little bit in my last blog, but I would just like to reiterate how important he actually is to our team. He made some huge plays in last night’s game to give the Bear a 30-24 victory over the Eagles. This was his first game back since week 2 and he caught 5 passes for 95 yards and a game winning touchdown. Lovie Smith stated “He made a lot of big plays. For a guy like Earl, when you haven’t played in a long time, you’re anxious to come back and get out there on the football field and show people what we’ve been missing. He gave us a boost.” Smith seems to be very happy that Bennett is finally back and what a better time than a Monday night matchup against the Eagles.
One of the best parts about Bennett’s performance was that he played just as well last season against the Eagles. In the last two seasons Bennett had a combined 14 receptions, 208 yards, and 3 touchdowns playing Philadelphia. I’m not exactly sure why the Eagles cannot contain him, but whatever he is doing seems to work.
The Bears have been struggling in their receiving core for the past couple years. We tried to move Hester and Knox to our main slots, but defenses are catching on to their tendencies and realizing that Hester is only good in the open field. But with Bennett gives Chicago a nice variation of speed and precise route running that most defenses have trouble guarding. So needless to say I am very excited about the Cutler to Bennett connection in the future. We will see if they can continue their success in next Sunday’s game against the Lions.
If you want to see more about Bennett’s post-game check out this post game interview at http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/multimediapopup.asp?mm_file_id=2672&play_clip=Y&rn=15.
No comments:
Post a Comment